Monday, July 18, 2011

Household Projects

Since moving in, we have completed a few projects around the house. Our first major project was painting the garage. I was actually really excited for this project since it was going to be my first time painting anything on a large scale. I thought it would be fun! And it was for the first hour, but the fun gradually wore off, and for hours 2 - 15ish it seemed a lot more like work than fun. I think that the only person who enjoyed painting the whole time was Makenna! She would paint for awhile, and then go play and ride her bike around the garage, and then paint a little more. Since we were just painting the garage, we weren't too worried about perfection, so it was great to just let her paint to her little heart's content.
John took care of all the stuff up high. We spread the project over 2 very long, HOT days, and although it was a lot more work than I thought it would be, we are very happy with the end result.


Our 2nd big project was landscaping the patch of dirt in the front of our house.

Instead of going to a store to pick out some flowers to plant, I went to my mom and dad's house. Their landscaping, and flowers are amazing, and free! My dad dug up some flowers for me, and I brought them home to plant.

I thought that maybe I could get all the flowers planted before John got home from work, but I was very wrong! It took almost 3 hours just to get all the weeds out, and get the dirt ready. The kids were eager to help, and loved playing in the dirt.


When John got home from work he helped me get all of the flowers planted. We just made up a landscape design as we went. Perfect? No, but much better than the dirt and weeds we started with.

3 comments:

Angie O said...

Isn't it surprising how much longer painting takes than you would think?

Gabriella said...

I love the flowers, you did a great job. Isn't it fun working outside when it's your own house?

amy stansel said...

oh amber I loved seeing all of these pictures!! I love your home and I really like seeing what you are doing with it. Andy and I have been busy with projects too and today we just had the conversation that painting the garage would be nice but it's probably not happening this summer! And then i read your post.....hmmmmm...makes me wonder if we should!! I miss you lots!!