Friday, November 13, 2009

Birth Story

Hudson's Birth Story:

My contractions started at around 7pm on Sunday evening, after "running fast" with Makenna around the kitchen table. In hopes of keeping them going, John and I went on a nice walk around campus while my mom stayed home with Makenna. My contractions were painful, and coming every 10 - 15 mins, but I kept thinking that they were going to stop. (I had contractions for about 2 hours on Saturday evening, but they eventually went away).

After we came home from our walk, I kept having contractions, so I started timing them. Everyone else (except for me) went to bed. I tried to sleep, but was in too much pain. I called the Doctor, and she said to wait to come to the hospital until my contractions were 5 mins apart. Since I was only having them every 9 to 12 minutes, I kept waiting. Finally at around 4:30am, I woke John up. My contractions were still 7 to 9 minutes apart, but they were extremely painful.

We arrived at the hospital at around 5:00am, and started getting set up in our room. After asking us a lot of questions, the nurse checked me, and I was 7 cm dilated! She made the comment that it was a good thing my water hadn't broken yet, or John may have had to deliver the baby at home. Things were a little crazy after that. The nurse started rushing around and trying to get everything ready. Since I tested positive for Group B strep, they needed to get an IV going right away with fluids, and an antibiotic. By the time I was done with my first dose of antibiotics, I was at 9 cm, and the nurse told me that I might not have time to get an epidural. Luckily, the anesthesiologist came right then, so all was well. After my epidural, we just waited for 3 hours so that I could get another dose of antibiotics before they broke my water.

Once they broke my water, we waited about another hour before I started pushing. Pushing was A LOT better with Hudson than with Makenna. I only had to push for 35 minutes instead of 2 hours, and he was even facing the wrong way (face up instead of face down, which is the preferred position). Overall, even though this labor was 2 hours longer than my labor with Makenna, I think things were easier since I knew what to expect. I felt the same sense of relief, awe, wonder, and overwhelming love when I saw Hudson for the first time as I did when I saw Makenna. Having a baby is such a miracle, and one that I am so grateful I was able to experience for the second time.

5 comments:

Angie O said...

That's quite the story! I can't believe you were already 7cm when you got there! Crazy. Congratulations, again! He's sooo cute!

hilary w said...

Wow...that's an amazing story! I can't believe you got that far while still at home. You are tough! Thankfully you were able to get the epidural. That is always a huge fear for me that I won't get it in time! I'm so happy you are both healthy and doing well. Congratulations again!!!!

Marin said...

ohhhhhhhhhh my GOODNESS!!! I can't believe you waited that long and you were dilated at a 7!!!! that is sooo crazy!! I am hoping that my labor goes that way. I have had contractions but they keep going away so I hope when I go in to be at least a FOUR!!! That is just so exciting!! He is so cute. Glad you got the epidural in! Hope they get mine in before its TOO late!!

Bec and Ryan said...

wow-a 7! I was at a 5 when we went in and I was mighty proud. I am glad that you were able to get an epidural. That's great that they were able to give you the anitbiotic too. I progressed too fast, so they were concerned about Rulan because he was exposed, but all turned out well. We were prepared to do the whole waiting in the hospital thing...had the videos, cards, snacks for Ryan...but Rulan was born before we knew it. I am so glad that things went to well for you! I am excited to see more pictures!

Cheryn said...

Oh, that gave me goosebumps! That moment when the nine (10, really) long months and many hours of labor result in meeting your baby for the first time! Such a magical moment.