Monday, May 4, 2009

Washington D.C.

Well, we made it home on Sunday evening from our final trip of the month. We had a great time in Washington D.C. and are so happy that we were able to be there for Natalie and Mike's wedding. It was also great to see John's family, since we don't get to see them very often.

On Thursday morning before any of the wedding festivities started, we took Makenna to the D.C. zoo. They call it the "National Zoological Park"...very official. We had a lot of fun, and Makenna loved seeing all of the different animals.



In this picture, Makenna is roaring at the Lion.


The wedding was on Friday afternoon, and it was a wonderful sealing. Natalie looked beautiful, and along with Mike, made such a sweet and happy couple. It is always fun to go to a sealing and think back to the day when John and I were sealed. Makenna did absolutely fabulous all day at the wedding and the reception. She loved spinning around in her dress and giving everyone hugs. She is such a sweet little girl most of the time anyway, but that day especially, she really was such a doll.

Here is the happy couple


Natalie's mom made dresses for me and Makenna, so it was nice not to have to stress about what to wear. I didn't see the dresses until Thursday evening, and beforehand worried that maybe they wouldn't fit, but they both fit great. Thanks Robyn!




At the temple Makenna found this little tractor that she wanted to play in. John's dad bought and gave Makenna a tractor book earlier in the day, and was pleased to see that it sank in so quickly. Maybe we have a future farmer on our hands!


On Saturday, we went into D.C. with John's family to visit some of the sites. We decided to just go until Makenna was "done", and ended up carrying a screaming child out of the one and only museum we visited. I guess we waited too long. The poor thing didn't have a proper nap the whole trip. It seems like we did a lot of driving, and she just got one short little nap each day in the car. I felt bad for her, but she really did great the whole trip (minus the one major meltdown).

John's family in front of the Washington Memorial


John and his brothers Joey and Dan trying to push down the Washington Memorial. (No worries, they were not successful in their attempt...surprising huh?)


Our family with the Lincoln Memorial in the background


Makenna and I with the Capitol Building in the background


And finally, the White House


We stayed in a really nice Marriott hotel during our trip, and I ordered my favorite ever breakfast food not just once, but TWICE! It is the Crunchy French Toast, and it is AMAZING!! I order it almost every time we stay at a Marriott, and I just love it! I keep telling myself that I just need to make it at home sometime, but somehow I just don't think it will be the same as having this yummy plate of food brought to the room and eating it in bed. If you are ever staying at a Marriott where they have this on the breakfast menu, you have to try it.

2 comments:

Gabriella said...

I'm glad you guys had a great trip. Makenna looks super cute in her dress. We can't wait to see you in 2 weeks!

hilary w said...

You have such a beautiful family, Amber! What a great trip.