Is it normal for first-time moms to have separation anxiety?
John and I are scheduled to leave later on this afternoon to visit a school several hours away, and will be gone overnight. This will be my first night being away from Makenna since she was born. I feel like I should be ready and excited to have a little bit of a break, but I can't help but be nervous and anxious about leaving her. Makenna will be staying with my mom while we are gone, and although I know that Makenna loves my mom, and I trust her (my mom) 100%, I can't help but worry about whether she will be able to sleep okay in a strange house and bed, if she will eat okay, whether or not she will think that we have abandoned her, etc...
I know that I will enjoy being able to spend some alone time with John, and I just hope that I can relax enough not to ruin it. Is this normal, or am I just ridiculous?
7 comments:
You are such a good mom. Worrying is totally normal. Just try and get past it soon so you can really enjoy the alone time. Husbands need to know that you are looking forward to spending time with just them and not just stressing about being gone, ya know?
Makenna will be perfectly fine. Your mom has done this before (with you and your sibs) and even if Makenna does have a little trouble, it won't be bad enough for you to come home, right? Another thing that might bring some comfort is that she won't remember a thing the instant she sees you.
Have a fantastic time.
It's totally normal. Plus, Makenna will learn to trust you because you left her somewhere save and then came back. It's good for kids to know that their parents will come back when they leave them for a period of time. That doesn't stop the worrying though.
Totally normal. I think the anticipation is worse than the actual event of leaving. Have fun visiting the school - you're so much better than we were - we didn't visit anywhere, we just decided, packed up and went to a house we'd never laid eyes on in a city we knew nothing about! Good times - would do it again in a heartbeat.
I am 1,000% with you, Amber! I am weaning Baylee right now, and I am trying to hand her off to more people at church, etc., and it's going great, but it's hard to watch your baby grow up! I would have a hard time leaving my Baylee overnight, so I assume it's definitely a normal first-time mom thing. (By the 2nd or 3rd, we will be GRATEFUL for an overnight break!) Hey, enjoy your alone time with John! How fun! (And good luck with the decision-making!)
AMEN to all of the above....and from a guys perspective, ESPECIALLY about trying to get past it as quick as possible!! i am trying to think of what else to say, but i think i will just go with what sarah anne said :)
enjoy your time alone with john :)
i dont know. it felt like forever until the first time i left jonas overnight alone (he was about 18 months). you do worry about the little things, but then you remember who is in charge, and you love your alone time! where are you guys going?
hope your trip was fun! how was the visit? thanks for the gift card...I'm imagining all of the different kind of milk shakes I will order :) We hope you have a merry christmas!
Post a Comment